Spring has sprung and April is here. It’s time for your monthly “Rosie –Do” list in our series to keep your home running smoothly. Here are the six to-do’s to focus on over the next few weeks.
Still time to plant
Cucumbers, eggplant, okra and peppers can be put in now in vegetable beds. If your landscaping is looking skimpy, you’ll also want to put in some desert favorites such as lantana, bougainvillea and bottlebrush. Use nontoxic pesticides to fight aphids and caterpillars.
Prepare your yard for the big heat to come
Do a major check on your sprinklers and irrigation systems now to look for leaks and malfunctions. If you don’t already have a drip irrigation system, now’s the time to get one.
Plant a tree in honor of Earth Day (April 22) or Arbor Day (April 29)
After all, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says the net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equal to 10 room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours a day.
Keep trees from getting thirsty in summer
Water as often as trees require it -– based on weather, soil, species and age. If you have typical clay soil common to Arizona and you saturate the root zone each time you water, you should water every week to 10 days in summer and every two to three weeks in the winter. Watch trees closely. If they wilt a bit in the late afternoon, with leaves that curl and turn away from the sun, it’s time to water.
Drain your water heater
This might be a good time to drain your water heater, generally, a once a year job. But if you haven’t drained the tank in several years, forget it. Too much sediment will have built up in the water heater and the draining process might cause your water heater to spring a leak.
Ready to sell your house?
Summer is a big buying time for family homes. Think about enhancing the curb appeal of your house before the for-sale sign goes up. Repaint the exterior; add some plants to the landscape; paint or replace that beat-up front door.
For more DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain