A former Mexican president has said Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump should build the border wall because he’s so wealthy.
“I’m not going to pay for that [expletive] wall,” Vicente Fox said in an interview with Fusion. “He should pay for it. He’s got the money.”
Trump has made building a wall between Mexico and the United States — paid for by the Mexican government — a cornerstone of his presidential campaign. The New York billionaire has butted heads with several leaders over the idea, including Pope Francis.
In the interview, Fox urged American Latinos to “open their eyes” and not fall for Trump, who he labeled a “false prophet.”
“Please, you Hispanics, Latinos in the U.S., open your eyes. It’s not to defend our race. Not to defend our creed. It’s to defend this very same nation that is hosting you. This nation is going to fail if it goes into the hands of a crazy guy,” warned the former Mexican commander-in-chief.
Trump demanded an apology from Fox.
Fox is not the only former Mexican president to bash Trump’s wall idea. Felipe Calderon told CNBC his country would not “pay any single cent for such a stupid wall!”
In December, Trump repeated his wall idea during a stop in Mesa, claiming that if Americans “don’t stop [illegal immigration], we don’t have a country.”
- Phoenix immigration attorney breaks down tumultuous week’s news
- President Trump pushes back against border separation uproar
- Stormy Daniels’ lawyer takes case of kids in Phoenix removed from parents
- Arizona Democrats call for Gov. Ducey to check wellness of detained kids
- $370,000 worth of meth seized in Arizona border drug busts