PHOENIX — When it comes to unusual food pairs involving fried chicken, Phoenix has it all.
At first, it was fried chicken and waffles — a Southern staple — and now there is fried chicken and…doughnuts?
(Yes, that’s right: doughnuts.)
Welcome Chicken and Donuts, located at 16th Street and Buckeye Road in Phoenix, is a part of the “Welcome Hospitality,” a group of restaurants that includes the Welcome Diner at 10th Street and Roosevelt Street in Phoenix.
Some of the shop’s specialty doughnuts include bourbon apple fritter, chocolate coconut almond and grapefruit mimosa.
Classic restaurants such as Chicken & Donuts in San Francisco inspired partners Sloane McFarland, Michael Babcock and Jenn Robinson to bring the odd pairing of chicken and waffles to the Valley — and needless to say, they haven’t disappointed.
McFarland and team went so far as to renovate an old Kentucky Fried Chicken to house their establishment, according to the website.
So, what are you waiting for? Happy eating!
- Get ready for dogs – Phoenix is No. 6 city for pet-friendly vacation spots
- Part of Interstate 10, 17 to be closed during June 22 weekend
- Hawaii-bound American Airlines flight forced back to Phoenix
- Phoenix needs more bottled water to help battle summer heat
- Phoenix City Council votes to look at other designs for light-rail expansion