PHOENIX — Phoenix police confirmed that a woman was shot to death by officers after she reportedly pointed a gun at them.
The shooting happened Sunday night at an apartment complex near 23rd Avenue and Indian School Road in west Phoenix.
Police said they were called to the area by neighbors who said there was a woman firing a gun by the canal.
Officers tried to talk to the woman, they said, but she ran inside an apartment.
Sgt. Jonathan Howard said police tried to get her to drop the gun but instead she pointed it at them, prompting an officer to shoot her.
The unidentified woman died at a hospital.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Silver Alert cancelled for missing 74-year-old woman in Phoenix
- Phoenix police assistants helping respond to non-emergency calls
- Child dies, another seriously injured in 2-car crash in Phoenix
- Driver crashes into Phoenix house, occupants unharmed
- Police looking for Phoenix robbery suspects [RE-BROADCAST OF 5/13/2013]