ANAHEIM, Calif. — Officers in Southern California have fatally shot a man suspected of shooting and wounding someone, and firing at a police helicopter that was following him.
Sgt. Daron Wyatt said officers in the helicopter were checking on reports of gunshots in an Anaheim neighborhood Saturday afternoon when they spotted a gunman standing over another man lying on the ground.
Wyatt said the gunman shot a round at the helicopter.
When officers on the ground confronted the man, they ordered him to drop his weapon. Wyatt said he refused, so officers shot him.
A firearm was recovered from the scene.
- Suspect, officer injured in Phoenix shooting, police say
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Son of actor Jean-Claude Van Damme is arrested in Arizona
- Phoenix-area freeway shut down after shooting suspect takes own life
- Chandler man rescued after fall at Oak Creek Canyon