KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Multiple people have been killed and others injured in what police describe as a series of random shootings around the Kalamazoo, Michigan area. A possible suspect was apprehended late Saturday night, according to the Associated Press.
BREAKING: Police: Possible suspect in Kalamazoo, Michigan shootings apprehended
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 21, 2016
Initially, reports indicated six people died and three were injured.
We're being told again that there are 6 dead (4 at Cracker Barrel and 2 at car dealership), as many as 3 hurt (townshomes, dealership, CB)
— Rachel Van Gilder (@rachelmvg) February 21, 2016
Two of the injured are in critical condition and one is in serious condition.
Kalamazoo County undersheriff Paul Matyas told WOOD-TV that a suspect appeared to be driving around the area and randomly targeting people late Saturday night.
He said the shootings began about 6 p.m. local time. In addition to the restaurant and the car dealership, the third location was an apartment complex. All of the shootings were in the parking lots.
“These are random murders,” he said.
Kalamazoo is about 160 miles west of Detroit and has about 76,000 residents.
The AP contributed to this report.
- Thousands to march on Arizona’s capitol in response to Florida shooting
- Phoenix police union calling for review board decision to be overturned
- 300 Mesa High students walk out in support of stricter gun control
- Police investigating possible triple homicide in northwest Phoenix
- Hearing called off for Phoenix-area man accused in 9 shooting deaths