Every child needs a strong male figure in their life and one Arizona organization is working to make sure those men are prepared for the responsibility.
Phoenix-based organization Father Matters aims to give fathers in socially- and economically-deprived communities a strong mentor in their lives and teach them how to become a mentor of their own.
Vance Simms, a life coach, founded the group in 1997, after Simms noticed the “tremendous need” for fathering, according to the organization’s website.
Simms grew up without his father and wanted to be a presence in the lives of his own five children.
The organization does not just target men: Father Matters is dedicated to providing tools to women in order to improve the well-being in their homes and communities.
- Alarm causes flights headed to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport to be diverted
- I-10 to be narrowed to one lane for nearly a week near Chandler
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Surprise man found
- Mountain Pointe teacher helping students at risk gets KTAR News award
- Main Street Minute: Free golf for girls clinic set for Phoenix course