Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords has endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination for President.
Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly are expected to appear at a rally for Clinton in Iowa on Saturday.
Giffords represented Arizona’s 8th congressional district from 2007-2012. In Jan. 2011, she survived an assassination attempt that left her with a severe brain injury.
Since the shooting, Giffords and her husband became prominent gun control advocates.
Clinton wants caucus-goers to make gun control a “voting issue.” She’s tried to portray fellow Democrat Bernie Sanders as a National Rifle Association ally by citing his votes against a waiting period for gun purchases and for granting gun manufacturers legal immunity.
Sanders now supports efforts to repeal that immunity and says he’s been a tough opponent of the pro-gun lobby.
Polls show a tight race between Clinton and Sanders in Iowa.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- More registered Democrats than Republicans in Arizona’s 1st district
- Iowa mulls case of Arizona man who fled prison decades ago
- Arizona Democrats ask Ducey to recall Legislature to address school safety
- Poll puts Lesko ahead by 10 points in Arizona special election
- Gabby Giffords gun safety group opposes Arizona school plan