A teenager accused of posting an online threat to students of a Phoenix-area high school has been arrested, authorities said.
Police in Chandler said the teen posted a clip art picture of a handgun on the social
media app Snapchat on Sunday. The text read, “If you go to Hamilton. Just dont
(sic) come 2morrow (sic).”
The Arizona minor was booked that night. Police said the suspect didn’t pose a real threat, but there would be a larger-than-usual law enforcement presence in and round the school on Arizona Avenue near Queen Creek Road on Monday.
Classes began at their regularly scheduled time.
“People that think this is funny or make a joke of it … we will investigate … and prosecute,” Chandler Police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said.
The teen’s ominous warning came a week after threats were made against a Chandler middle school.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Ballot measure would raise production of clean energy in Arizona
- Thousands to march on Arizona’s capitol in response to Florida shooting
- Phoenix police union calling for review board decision to be overturned
- Mexican gray wolf population grows by 1 animal, survey says
- Arizona ramps up response to school threats after Florida shooting