PHOENIX — Arizona Cardinals fever has reached the state’s beer scene ahead of this weekend’s NFC Championship Game against the Carolina Panthers.
Members of the Craft Brewers Guilds of Arizona and North Carolina have been talking a lot of smack about their counterpart’s respective football team.
The feud went public when Arizona Craft Brewers Guild Executive Director Rob Fullmer issued a challenge to the brewers in North Carolina in a YouTube video.
“On Sunday, when the Panthers fall to the Cardinals, you will send us five delicious beers from your breweries,” Fullmer said in the video.
Erik Myers, president of the North Carolina Brewers Guild, accepted the challenge in a video of his own.
“In order to up this just a little bit, I am also happy to provide you a brand new Cam Newton jersey to wear the entire time (the collaboration) beer is being served,” Myers said.
But that wasn’t all: The list of items in the best also includes food and naming rights to a collaborative beer the guilds will create after the game, no matter which team wins.
Sunday’s game between the Cardinals and the Panthers kicks off at 4:40 p.m. It can be heard on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
- Ex-Cardinals kicker Jay Feely selling Phoenix-area home for $2.65 million
- Former Cardinals RB Chris Johnson pleads not guilty to battery charge
- SanTan Brewing Company goes outside the keg, unveils spirits
- Arizona Cardinals draftee Christian Kirk arrested at Phoenix Open
- We’ll drink to that: American Craft Beer Week to celebrate local breweries