PHOENIX ‒ It will be a closure-free weekend for Arizona drivers. There will be no closures for construction over the New Year’s weekend.
No full freeway closures or additional restrictions but some delays are still possible due to current lane restrictions in work zones. A couple of areas are Interstate 10 between Benson and Tucson and Interstate 15 in the Virgin River Gorge.
Please follow these safety recommendations when using Arizona’s highways this weekend:
- Never drive while impaired. As freeway message boards will remind you, designated drivers make the best New Year’s dates. Please keep in mind that buzzed driving is drunk driving.
- Check your vehicle ahead of time, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts.
- Get a good night’s rest before a trip. Drowsy driving is unsafe.
- Buckle up and double-check child safety seats.
- Be patient, obey speed limits and don’t tailgate.
- Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to crashes, disabled vehicles, etc.
- Be prepared for changing weather and winter driving conditions. Have an emergency kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, healthy snacks and drinking water. For information on items to put in an emergency kit, visit azdot.gov/KnowSnow.
For highway conditions around the state visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 511.
- Driver dies in wrong-way freeway wreck in Arizona
- Part of eastbound I-10 in West Valley to be closed over Feb. 9 weekend
- Semitrailer rolls over, blocks I-10 traffic west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘satanic’ group signs up to help pick up trash along I-10
- Valley freeway closures to snarl traffic for SuperCross, Brad Paisley