PHOENIX — In what may seemingly be ripped straight from an episode of “America’s Dumbest Criminals,” an Arizona man allegedly used a stolen pickup truck to retrieve his girlfriend from jail.
In an email, Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said an officer using a license plate scanner saw a truck that was reported stolen drive past him. The officer followed and arrested the driver outside the city’s jail.
The driver, who has not been identified, told police he was there to pick up his girlfriend and borrowed the truck.
While police are investigating, they turned to social media to announce the arrest with a not-so-subtle Facebook post.
You know what they say: “He who is accused of driving a stolen truck to retrieve a lover winds up getting booked…”
Or something like that.
- Phoenix police officers, woman injured in rush hour crash
- Phoenix police union calling for review board decision to be overturned
- Police investigating possible triple homicide in northwest Phoenix
- Phoenix school brings in extra police officers after online threats
- Tentative deal reached over death in Maricopa County jail run by Arpaio