PHOENIX — In what may seemingly be ripped straight from an episode of “America’s Dumbest Criminals,” an Arizona man allegedly used a stolen pickup truck to retrieve his girlfriend from jail.
In an email, Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley said an officer using a license plate scanner saw a truck that was reported stolen drive past him. The officer followed and arrested the driver outside the city’s jail.
The driver, who has not been identified, told police he was there to pick up his girlfriend and borrowed the truck.
While police are investigating, they turned to social media to announce the arrest with a not-so-subtle Facebook post.
You know what they say: “He who is accused of driving a stolen truck to retrieve a lover winds up getting booked…”
Or something like that.
- Phoenix-area residents can now buy a car — from a vending machine
- Study finds racial bias in Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office traffic stops
- Phoenix police searching for man suspected of stealing wire
- ‘Take Me to Church’ singer Hozier will perform in Tempe in October
- Mesa drops charges against man seen beaten in arrest video