PHOENIX — Cyber Monday is by far the busiest day of the year at the Amazon fulfillment center on the west side of Phoenix.
The center, near 51st Avenue and Buckeye Road, hums with activity early Monday morning. Thousands of feet of conveyor line are carrying packages across the massive site, the size of 28 football fields.
Ashley Robinson with Amazon said 2,500 full-time employees, plus thousands of seasonal workers are on the job.
“We’ve been working to set this up all year,” she said.
Last year Amazon shipped out 43 million items worldwide, about 500 items per second.
The company expects a double-digit percentage increase in those numbers for 2015.
- Part of Interstate 10, 17 to be closed during June 22 weekend
- Hawaii-bound American Airlines flight forced back to Phoenix
- Phoenix needs more bottled water to help battle summer heat
- Phoenix City Council votes to look at other designs for light-rail expansion
- Grocery chain Safeway closing two Phoenix-area stores