PHOENIX — Consumers beware: There are still dangerous and toxic children’s toys being sold to Arizona parents this holiday season.
According to a new report by the Arizona Public Interest Research Group, toxic metals, dangerous magnets, excessive noise levels and choking hazards all persist in some newly-produced toys.
The Arizona PIRG is advising parents to check all labels and warnings before buying toys this holiday season.
“Parents and other consumers should be able to trust that the toys we buy are safe,” Jenifer Wong, an Arizona PIRG Education Fund representative, said. “However, until that’s the case, toy buyers need to watch out for common hazards when shopping for toys.”
Dr. Anthony Pickett with Phoenix Children’s Hospital said choking hazards are the biggest concern around the holidays. He said every year he treats young patients who choke on new gifts.
“All it takes is a split second for them to pick up an item and ultimately choke on it,” Pickett said. “It can cause life threatening stuff immediately if it completely obstructs the airway.”
The emergency room physician said if a gift is small enough to fit through a cardboard toilet paper roll, it is small enough to get caught in a child’s throat.
- Phoenix-area mayors ready to join forces to land Amazon headquarters
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Book tells stories of retired numbers of Arizona high school athletes
- New book explores retired numbers of Arizona high school athletes
- Sen. John McCain reflects on brain cancer diagnosis on ’60 Minutes’