PHOENIX — Moviegoers and fans of the film series “The Hunger Games” throughout the Phoenix area had a chance Wednesday to see the final installment in the series before its official opening date.
Harkins Theaters played “Mockingjay Part I and Part II” back-to-back Wednesday evening. The long awaited movie is expected to be one of the biggest blockbuster films of the year.
Fans lined up early to get a good seat for the double feature showing.
“After reading the books, I know what’s going to happen but sometimes they are a little bit different in the movies so I’m looking forward to seeing how they are going to do it here,” Phoenix resident Mike Walfoort said.
Walfoort was one of hundreds of fans who went to the showing Wednesday night. He brought his kids to the theater as well.
“We actually watched the first two (movies in the series) last night to recap so I’m bringing the kids tonight and we are just going to have some fun and relax,” he said.
- Phoenix celebrates Chinese New Year with weekend-long festival
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Scottsdale’s Beat the Heat race to return in June after five-year hiatus
- Phoenix high school student arrested for bringing loaded gun on campus
- No Phoenix-area freeway closures over President’s Day weekend