PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona presented a Bronze Star Medal, a Purple Heart, and other military honors Wednesday to the family of Joaquin Del Castillo, a local World War II veteran who was killed in action in 1945.
Gallego served with the Marines in the Middle East and was honored to present the awards.
“The people that earned the medals have passed, but the families and the rest of the world need to know of the sacrifices made,” he said.
Mary del Castillo Quiñonez was only 6 when her brother died. She accepted the awards on behalf of the family and received a Gold Star Medal. She said it was an honor.
“It’s so surreal. I was so young when it happened. I had five brothers and a half-brother in the service. They all came back except for Joaquin,” she said.
- 5 missing after Army helicopter goes down off Hawaii coast
- McCain: Trump’s transgender tweets proof policy isn’t for social media
- US House to vote on $1.6 billion border wall funding
- Arizona Army veteran’s dying wish is to get messages of support
- Transgender enlistment into military gets delayed for further review