PHOENIX — U.S. Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona presented a Bronze Star Medal, a Purple Heart, and other military honors Wednesday to the family of Joaquin Del Castillo, a local World War II veteran who was killed in action in 1945.
Gallego served with the Marines in the Middle East and was honored to present the awards.
“The people that earned the medals have passed, but the families and the rest of the world need to know of the sacrifices made,” he said.
Mary del Castillo Quiñonez was only 6 when her brother died. She accepted the awards on behalf of the family and received a Gold Star Medal. She said it was an honor.
“It’s so surreal. I was so young when it happened. I had five brothers and a half-brother in the service. They all came back except for Joaquin,” she said.
- Job fair devoted to veterans to be held at University of Phoenix Stadium
- Phoenix water park offering heroes free admission Memorial Day weekend
- Vietnam veteran involved in dispute over Military Honor Park in Coolidge
- 10,000 flags salute military at Arizona campus for Memorial Day
- Crew killed when military plane headed to Arizona crashes in Georgia