PHOENIX — A man afraid of being sent back to prison made his way to the roof of a motel early Tuesday morning, drawing police into a standoff that ended quietly when he decided to come down.
The unarmed man came down after about 90 minutes.
Phoenix police had gone to the motel near Interstate 17 and Northern Avenue to arrest men suspected of shoplifting from a west Phoenix drugstore near 34th and Dunlap avenues.
One of the men in the motel room became agitated during the arrests, fled and eventually got to the roof, where he began throwing whatever he could get his hands on at officers.
He told police he was on probation and didn’t want to return to prison. Originally, police said he wasn’t a suspect in the shoplifting.
- Phoenix police searching for robbery suspect who threatened guard
- Silver Alert cancelled for missing 74-year-old woman in Phoenix
- Phoenix police assistants helping respond to non-emergency calls
- Child dies, another seriously injured in 2-car crash in Phoenix
- Driver crashes into Phoenix house, occupants unharmed