PHOENIX — A man afraid of being sent back to prison made his way to the roof of a motel early Tuesday morning, drawing police into a standoff that ended quietly when he decided to come down.
The unarmed man came down after about 90 minutes.
Phoenix police had gone to the motel near Interstate 17 and Northern Avenue to arrest men suspected of shoplifting from a west Phoenix drugstore near 34th and Dunlap avenues.
One of the men in the motel room became agitated during the arrests, fled and eventually got to the roof, where he began throwing whatever he could get his hands on at officers.
He told police he was on probation and didn’t want to return to prison. Originally, police said he wasn’t a suspect in the shoplifting.
- Main Street Minute: Breakfast chain opens 2nd Phoenix spot
- Arizona DPS head talks challenges in recruiting young, diverse applicants
- Arizona attorney general: Phoenix police rule does not violate SB 1070
- Man allegedly forced to eat marijuana sues Phoenix, police
- Police searching for Mesa home burglary suspects [RE-BROADCAST OF 1/21/13]