Maricopa County Sheriff’s Detectives are investigating a three-vehicle crash where a man and woman died.
The accident occurred Sunday morning just after 5 a.m. at the intersection of Avondale Boulevard and MC-85 in Avondale.
According to Joaquin Enriquez with MCSO, Cesar Aguilar Villanueva, 23,was driving a truck east on MC 85, when he rear-ended a vehicle occupied by a female and male that was stopped at the intersection facing eastbound. That vehicle collided with a truck that was stopped facing southbound waiting to make a turn onto Avondale Boulevard.
The man and woman in the vehicle that was rear-ended, Jesus Torrez and Guadalupe Gastelum-Suarez, were pronounced dead by medical personal.
Villanueva was determined by detectives to be impaired and speeding when he caused the accident, Enriquez said.
Villanueva will be booked for two counts of manslaughter and two counts of endangerment. Those charges could become 2nd degree murder if and when the estimated speed of the collision is determined.
Investigators are on scene and the road will continue to be closed for several hours.
- Maricopa County prosecutors hand fatal Uber crash case to another office
- Airliner with 110 aboard crashes in Cuba, 3 said to survive
- VIDEO: Waymo self-driving vehicle involved in accident in Chandler
- Crew killed when military plane headed to Arizona crashes in Georgia
- Semi rolls over, accident closes Interstate 17 at Loop 101