Maricopa County Sheriff’s Detectives are investigating a three-vehicle crash where a man and woman died.
The accident occurred Sunday morning just after 5 a.m. at the intersection of Avondale Boulevard and MC-85 in Avondale.
According to Joaquin Enriquez with MCSO, Cesar Aguilar Villanueva, 23,was driving a truck east on MC 85, when he rear-ended a vehicle occupied by a female and male that was stopped at the intersection facing eastbound. That vehicle collided with a truck that was stopped facing southbound waiting to make a turn onto Avondale Boulevard.
The man and woman in the vehicle that was rear-ended, Jesus Torrez and Guadalupe Gastelum-Suarez, were pronounced dead by medical personal.
Villanueva was determined by detectives to be impaired and speeding when he caused the accident, Enriquez said.
Villanueva will be booked for two counts of manslaughter and two counts of endangerment. Those charges could become 2nd degree murder if and when the estimated speed of the collision is determined.
Investigators are on scene and the road will continue to be closed for several hours.
- Kidnapped Avondale boy found safe, suspect not caught
- Former Arizona AG: MCSO posses do positive things but pose problems
- Police kill Phoenix-area man who moved toward them with gun, knives
- Self-driving Uber vehicle involved in 3-car accident in Tempe
- Board looking into Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office’s use of posses