PHOENIX — The Phoenix Mercury will begin their playoff defense of last year’s championship this week at a new address.
The city renamed the corner of First and Jefferson streets in downtown to 3 Championship Way on Monday.
“To see 3 Championship Way in front of (US Airways Arena) is pretty special,” Mercury Vice President Ann Meyers Drysdale said at the unveiling.
The three in the address symbolizes the team’s three WNBA titles.
Drysdale said the team has a good chance at repeating last year’s title-winning playoff run.
“The fact that we finished second in the conference was huge,” she said. “I think we have a great chance of repeating. The competition is really good but every time you go into a season, for me, I believe we’re going to win every year.”
Drysdale was joined by Mayor Greg Stanton and the team’s mascot, Scorch, who hosted the new signage. Stanton said he hopes the sign is temporary, as 4 Championship Way sounds much better than 3.
The Mercury are scheduled to open the playoffs against the Tulsa Shock at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Hacienda HealthCare rape suspect Sutherland to appear in court
- Phoenix ranked in top 50 most stressed cities in America
- Tempe artist makes art from cans he uses to feed the homeless
- Developers to build gym in place of burned-down Safeway in Phoenix
- ‘Shark Tank’ Diversity Tour casting call coming to Phoenix