Accused child molester extradited from Mexico to Maricopa County
PHOENIX – A man accused of molesting three minors was extradited from Mexico to Maricopa County recently and is scheduled to go on trial next year, authorities said.
Miguel Franco-Castañeda, 74, was arraigned earlier this month on two counts of sexual conduct with a minor and one count each of touching a minor, molestation of a child and dangerous crime against a child, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office said in a press release Monday.
Three victims under the age of 15 were allegedly molested by Franco-Castañeda between January 2014 and August 2015, according to the release.
The suspect’s next scheduled court date is for a pretrial conference on Nov. 17. His trial is set to begin Feb. 6, according to court records.
Franco-Castañeda’s extradition from Mexico was a collaborative effort involving MCAO, the Phoenix Police Department and the U.S. Marshals Service.
“This defendant ran from the law, but the law has found him, and the law will hold him accountable,” Interim County Attorney Rachel Mitchell said in the release.