Tucson man accused of lying about weapon used in mass shooting
PHOENIX — A Tucson man was charged last week for making a false statement to agents during an investigation into a mass shooting, authorities said.
Investigators said Josue Lopez Quintana, 25, was interviewed after an investigation launched into the mass shooting in Tucson that left four people dead on Aug. 25, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona said in a press release.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined the lower receiver of the firearm used in the shooting was bought by Quintana in November 2021, as he allegedly completed a form at the Federal Firearms Licensee stating he was not acquiring the lower receiver on behalf of another person.
When confronted about the purchase on Aug. 26, investigators said Quintana made false statements about the purchase.
If Quintana is convicted, he could face a maximum penalty of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine or both.
ATF is conducting the case along with the Tucson Police Department and Homeland Security Investigations.