Suspect in 11 drive-by shootings in Phoenix indicted on 72 counts
PHOENIX — A man suspected in 11 drive-by shootings in south and west Phoenix was indicted on 72 counts, prosecutors announced Monday.
Manuel Sierra, 24, was arrested last month in Buckeye for his suspected role in the shootings that began on Dec. 31 and ended on May 11.
The indictment from the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office includes counts for drive-by shooting, unlawful discharge of a firearm, endangerment, disorderly conduct and burglary.
Multiple homes and vehicles were struck by gunfire during the string of shootings, which targeted members of an extended family.
An investigation from the Phoenix Police Department determined Sierra was a past romantic partner to someone related to the victims.
The homes were occupied during at least half the shootings, but nobody was injured.
The families also received threatening text messages tied to the shootings, authorities said.
Advanced ballistic evidence techniques were used and hours of digital evidence was analyzed during the investigation, which authorities said were crucial to linking the various shootings.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.