Prosecutors don’t charge Chandler officer in fatal shooting of teen
PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office announced Thursday it would not charge an officer who fatally shot a teenager in the back in Chandler early last year.
Interim County Attorney Rachel Mitchell said Officer Chase Bebak-Miller performed necessary actions to defend himself from danger in shooting 17-year-old Anthony Cano twice during a foot pursuit at about 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 2, 2021.
“I have determined that the actions of Officer Bebak-Miller did not violate criminal statutes and this office will not be filing criminal charges in this matter,” Mitchell said during a press conference.
The 17-year-old was riding his bike when police said he committed a traffic violation near Erie and Delaware streets.
Bebak-Miller tried to pull him over, but Cano rode off and then fled on foot into Gazelle Meadows Park
According to police, Cano displayed a gun during the ensuing pursuit, prompting Bebak-Miller to shoot Cano twice in the back.
Body-cam footage (WARNING: graphic violence) showed the second shot came after Bebak-Miller moved closer and Cano was already wounded on the ground.
Cano died of his injuries three weeks later.
“That second shot is hard to watch,” Mitchell said. “But based on his explanation of it that he thought he was still in imminent danger, that is the crux of the decision.”
The city of Chandler in June 2021 agreed to settlements totaling more than $1 million with Cano’s parents.
Mitchell said Bebak-Miller remains with the Chandler Police Department.