Warming fire at homeless encampment may have sparked Mesa blaze
Apr 11, 2022, 3:00 PM
(Mesa Fire and Medical Department Screenshot)
PHOENIX – Investigators believe a warming fire at a homeless encampment may have sparked a large commercial blaze in central Mesa this weekend, authorities said Monday.
The fire broke out early Saturday at ABC Supply Co. near Alma School Road and Main Street, the Mesa Fire and Medical Department said in an email.
The department said gusty winds might have spread the flames from debris used for a warming fire to roofing materials inside the supply yard.
The company told investigators that workers put out an unattended fire near the property line several days earlier, preventing potential spread.
No other details were available.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.