Jury orders Arizona to pay $4.3M for injuries to worker

May 29, 2015, 3:48 PM | Updated: 3:49 pm

PHOENIX — A jury has awarded a Tonopah, Arizona man and his wife about $4.3 million for injuries he received while working in an Arizona Department of Transportation electronics room.

The verdict from a Maricopa County Superior Court jury came after the man said the state failed to properly monitor air conditioning units and backup batteries overheated, flooding the room with sulfuric acid gas.

Telecommunications equipment technician Paul Clabough was awarded $3.85 million for injuries to his lungs that have left him totally disabled and unable to work. His wife, Pamela Clabough, was awarded $500,000.

The award will help Paul Clabough deal with his injuries, Scottsdale attorney Danny Adelman said Friday.

“It’s a really horrible injury. Mr. Clabough, he had some minor respiratory things, allergies and even minor asthma, before,” Adelman said. “But he had a stellar work history. He’d never missed work. He built his own barns and shooed his own horses, and he was just an incredibly active guy. And this just completely changed his life.”

The jury award, while large, is not one of the largest in recent memory, said Ryan Anderson, a spokesman for Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich. The office is considering its next step, including whether to appeal, Anderson said.

Clabough, who worked for a contractor, was called to the Arizona Department of Transportation’s facility in south Phoenix in August 2010 because a telecommunications switch was failing inside a set of rooms that housed communications and computer equipment. When the door to the secure room was opened, it was at least 140 degrees inside, instead of the normal 70-75 degree temperature, Adelman said.

Clabough could hear the failing switch squealing, so went inside the room to fix it. After about 20 minutes, he began to feel stinging in his eyes, and then on his skin, so he left the room and doused himself with water. Returning to the rooms, he noticed a bank of backup batteries that appeared to have overheated and ruptured.

At home that night, Clabough felt slightly better, but he began getting a hacking cough that got progressively worse. Two nights later, he awoke unable to breathe, and his wife took him to a hospital.

Doctors determined that he suffered from a toxic acid inhalation injury, Adelman said.

The electronics room should have had a backup air conditioner or sensors with alarms that sounded to alert Department of Transportation staff well before the room overheated enough to damage the batteries, Adelman said.

Lawyers for Arizona argued to the jury that Clabough’s injury was the result of a severe bout of acid reflux that happened a few days after he was in the electronics room, Adelman said. The jury rejected that argument in Tuesday’s verdict, finding the injuries were caused by the leaking batteries. Judge Dawn Bergin had earlier found the Department of Transportation was negligent in maintaining the batteries.

Clabough, now 62, will have to repay an estimated $180,000 in workers compensation benefits he has received, because of rules banning double recovery.

Adelman said he offered to settle the case for an amount well below what the jury awarded his client, and he blamed state officials for not accepting they were responsible for his client’s injuries and offering compensation.

“It really was a failure to accept responsibility,” Adelman said. “They never were seriously engaging in settlement discussions.”

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.

Arizona News

(Pixabay Photo)...
Associated Press

Man arrested in death of Navajo woman found in Arizona last year

Authorities say a Pinon man has been arrested in connection with the death of a Navajo woman who was reported missing in 2019.
19 hours ago
(Facebook photo / Chandler Fire Department)...
KTAR.com

Chandler Fire Department offers free emergency readiness course

The Chandler Fire Department is offering a free two-day self-preparedness training for emergencies and disasters starting Saturday, Aug. 20.
19 hours ago
Javier Arvallo (MCSO Photo)...
KTAR.com

Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office seeking suspect in murder near highway

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office asking for the public's help in finding a suspect accused of murder southwest of metro Phoenix on Sunday.
19 hours ago
Ina Jenkins (Arizona DPS Photo)...
KTAR.com

Silver Alert canceled for 78-year-old in Gilbert after being found

A Silver Alert was canceled Monday after a 78-year-old woman with dementia was found after going missing in Gilbert.
19 hours ago
(Right Side Broadcasting Network Screenshot Photo)...
KTAR.com

Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake again bashes ‘McCain machine’ during CPAC appearance

Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake continued her affront of John McCain during the Conservative Political Action Conference summit in Dallas on Saturday.
19 hours ago
(Arizona Department of Transportation Traffic Camera)...
KTAR.com

Thunderstorms possibilities in the metro Phoenix forecast throughout the week

Another set of storms are expected to pass through metro Phoenix this week, with the greatest chances of rain forecast for Tuesday.
19 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

(Courtesy Condor)...
Condor Airlines

Condor Airlines shows passion for destinations from Sky Harbor with new-look aircraft

Condor Airlines brings passion to each flight and connects people to their dream destinations throughout the world.
...
Day & Night Air Conditioning, Heating and Plumbing

Most plumbing problems can be fixed with regular maintenance

Instead of waiting for a problem to happen, experts suggest getting a head start on your plumbing maintenance.
...
Day & Night Air Conditioning, Heating and Plumbing

Tips to lower your energy bill in the Arizona heat

Does your summer electric bill make you groan? Are you looking for effective ways to reduce your bill?
Jury orders Arizona to pay $4.3M for injuries to worker