ARIZONA NEWS

Storm tears through metro Phoenix; high winds bring down trees

Aug 17, 2021, 6:39 AM | Updated: 11:30 am
(Sceenshot/ADOT Webcam)...
(Sceenshot/ADOT Webcam)
(Sceenshot/ADOT Webcam)

PHOENIX – High winds and the heavy rain that came with it left behind a big mess in the Phoenix area Tuesday.

Thousands of homes were without power after a monsoon storm ripped through the Valley late Monday. Trees came down and streets flooded as some areas absorbed over an inch of rain.

More of that could be on the way. Flash flood warnings were issued Tuesday for much of the West Valley – Avondale, Buckeye, Glendale, Goodyear, Peoria and Avondale – the last of which was to end at 11:30 a.m.

The National Weather Service said there was a 60% chance of thunderstorms overnight and 40% on Wednesday and reported wind gusts of 73 mph in San Tan Valley and 69 mph at Sky Harbor Airport. Some areas could see two inches of rain while others an inch.

Arizona Public Service had nearly 16,000 Valley outages while Salt River Project had around 10,000, at one point.

Around 11:20 a.m., APS showed all but about 200 had power again and about half of SRP’s Valley customers without electricity were still waiting.

One-day totals rainfall totals at Usery Mountain Park in Mesa was over an inch and Chandler Heights recorded 1.14 inches. On the other side of the Valley, Goodyear got 0.94 inches and a gauge at Grand and Peoria avenues showed 0.87 inches.

“We’re looking at probably a quiet afternoon and then potential for additional thunderstorms probably during the overnight hours,” Phoenix weather bureau meteorologist Paul Iniquez told KTAR News 92.3 FM.

Greenway Road in Phoenix was closed in both directions at Interstate 17 because of flooding. Other streets were closed as crews took care of downed power lines and fallen trees.

“This was the worst wind I’ve ever seen and I’ve been here 35 years,” Mike Evans, who lives near 44th Street and Indian School Road in Phoenix, told KTAR News.

Evans heard a loud crack late Monday night. Wind had uprooted his 60-foot pine tree.

“The pine tree fell into the wires … and the wires and two poles went down,” he said.

The damaged wires sparked in the yard’s palm tree. He thought fire was next and woke his wife to get her out of the house.

Then the rain fell.

“It felt like a hurricane. And I’ve been in hurricanes before,” Evans said.

KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Jim Cross and Jeremy Foster contributed to this report.

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.

Arizona News

(File photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)...
KTAR.com

Arizona ranked as one of the least charitable states, per WalletHub

It's the season of giving but a personal finance website ranked Arizona as one of the least charitable states in the country.
5 hours ago
(City of Chandler Photo)...
KTAR.com

Tumbleweed Tree lighting, Parade of Lights to take place this weekend in Chandler

An East Valley holiday tradition is back in-person this year as event organizers prepare for the 65th annual Tumbleweed Tree lighting and the Parade of Lights on Saturday.
5 hours ago
(Photo by Ben Hasty/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle via Getty Images)...
Associated Press

Flagstaff pauses construction of USGS facilities over rising costs

The city of Flagstaff is hitting pause on the construction of new buildings in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey because of soaring costs.
5 hours ago
Americans are expected to spend an average of $886 on gifts this holiday season. Spending in Arizon...
SIMON WILLIAMS | CRONKITE NEWS

It’s beginning to look a lot like a post-COVID Christmas for vendors

In the second holiday season of the pandemic era, goods may cost more, but Americans have more money to spend – and they appear to be eager to spend it.
5 hours ago
(Facebook photo/City of Phoenix, AZ USA)...
KTAR.com

Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from Nov. 26-28

Phoenix on Sunday having its first sub-50 degree low since March is among the biggest Arizona stories of the weekend.
1 day ago
(Pexels Photo)...
KTAR.com

Phoenix temperature hits sub-50 for the first time since spring

Turn the heater on and get those fuzzy socks out-- Winter is approaching as some Valley residents saw some chilly temperatures Sunday morning.
1 day ago

Sponsored Articles

...
Sanderson Ford

Sanderson Ford offers cars and deals for all this holiday season

Sanderson Ford’s No! Vember Black Friday sale is giving an opportunity to purchase a new 2021 vehicle just in time for the holiday season.
...
ENVOQUE MD

Thyroid issues: Here are the warning signs and what to do

In a 100-person office in the United States, an estimated 12 co-workers, employees and loved ones, will likely develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime. That’s because, according to the American Thyroid Association, more than 12% of the U.S. population will experience thyroid issues.
(Facebook Photo/NHTSA)...
Sweet James

Upcoming holiday season is peak time for DUI arrests

The holiday season may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it’s also the most dangerous time of the year to be driving. That’s why it’s important to remember to call Sweet James Accident Attorneys if you’re injured or arrested because of a DUI accident.
Storm tears through metro Phoenix; high winds bring down trees