Here’s which Phoenix-area schools are requiring face masks
Sep 29, 2021, 5:00 PM | Updated: Sep 30, 2021, 9:39 am
(Photo by Jon Cherry/Getty Images)
PHOENIX — Some Phoenix-area school districts continue to require face masks on campus while others have enacted new requirements after a judge struck down a ban on the mandates that was set to go into effect Wednesday.
Based on recent data about the rapid spread of the COVID-19 delta variant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends that even vaccinated people wear masks in public indoor settings in parts of the U.S. classified as having substantial or high transmission.
An Arizona Superior Court judge ruled Monday a ban on the mandates passed in June by Republicans in the state legislature and Gov. Doug Ducey as part of the state budget violated the state constitution and couldn’t go into effect as scheduled.
A handful of schools before the ruling locked horns with the governor and required face masks at the start of the school year.
Some schools following the ruling on Monday decided to update their guidance and once again require face masks in the classroom.
Here’s an alphabetical list of the metro Phoenix school districts that are mandating face masks:
- Alhambra Elementary School District
- Balsz School District
- Cartwright School District
- Creighton School District
- Glendale Elementary School District
- Kyrene School District
- Laveen School District
- Litchfield Elementary School District
- Littleton Elementary School District
- Madison School District
- Osborn School District
- Paradise Valley Unified School District
- Phoenix Elementary School District
- Phoenix Union High School District
- Roosevelt School District
- Scottsdale Unified School District
- Tempe Elementary School District
- Tempe Union High School District
- Union Elementary School District
- Washington Elementary School District
- Wilson Elementary School
This list will be updated as more information becomes available.