Phoenix police release suspect’s name, body cam footage from shootout
PHOENIX – Police on Monday released the name of a man who was wounded in a shootout with a Phoenix officer last month along with body camera footage from the incident.
Adan Carlos, 42, was allegedly violating an order of protection on May 30 when he exchanged gunfire with an officer responding to a 911 call from a home near 39th Avenue and Thunderbird Road, according to a Phoenix Police Department critical incident briefing video.
“My father is here and we have a warrant of protection out on him,” a teenage caller says in 911 audio played during the video (WARNING: Graphic language and images).
Carlos was in front of the house when the first officer, a 26-year-old male with two years on the force, arrived. The suspect immediately pointed a handgun at the officer, according to police.
“The officer and Carlos exchanged gunfire, and Carlos was struck,” Sgt. Ann Justus said during the briefing video.
More than a dozen shots can be heard in succession in the body camera footage as the officer exited his vehicle, but Carlos wasn’t in the frame until the shooting stopped.
Police said one of the six shots Carlos fired wound up inside an occupied home about half a mile away, although nobody there was injured.
Carlos remains hospitalized for his injuries and will be charged after he is released, police said.
Investigators learned that a vehicle belonging to Carlos had been found burned nearby earlier in the day.
He also allegedly forced somebody at gunpoint to drive him around before getting out near the home where the shooting occurred.
In addition to the criminal investigation, an internal investigation of the police shooting is being conducted and will be reviewed by the county attorney’s office.