4-year-old girl dies in shooting at Tempe apartment
PHOENIX – Police in Tempe said a 4-year-old girl who was found at an apartment with a gunshot wound died Sunday.
Tempe Police Department Detective Natalie Barela said someone who said they were a family member called officers to report the child had shot herself at a home near Rural and Baseline roads Sunday around 8:45 p.m.
The little girl had “an apparent gunshot wound,” Barela said Monday, and she was pronounced dead shortly after first responders arrived.
Tempe police said Tuesday it appears the child gained access to the gun after her adult sibling temporarily placed the gun under a piece of furniture, believing it was out of sight and no longer a risk.
Preliminary forensic information located at the scene continues to support the child was holding the gun at the time it was discharged, according to authorities.
Once the investigation is complete, authorities will determine if there is probable cause to submit charges against anyone in the incident.
Tempe police advise those who own a gun to keep it locked in a secured and safe place out of the reach of children.
KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Jeremy Foster contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Tempe installs 7 new electric vehicle charging stations at public library
- Man accused of killing his father arrested in Chandler
- Tucson and Tempe recognized for global smart cities project
- Scottsdale is No. 1 in US for best place to get a summer job, report says
- Oregano’s set to debut new takeout-only concept in Tempe