Think Tank discusses taxes and rates with an expert
Every year around tax time the Think Tank takes a look at taxes.
This year’s guest is Bob Lord, who is a tax attorney and a fellow with the Institute of Policy Studies.
Among other things, Lord observes that the richest .01 percent of Americans, about 33,000 lucky souls, now pay just one-sixth of what they used to pay in tax, when measured as a percentage of their total wealth and that billionaire tax payments, as a percentage of their wealth, have dropped by an astounding 79% since 1980.
How did this happen?
And how do they do it?
To understand this, we delve into the difference between “nominal” tax rates (which are moderately progressive) and the actual rates that people actually pay. And the various devices buried deep into the tax code that few understand.
All things taxes in this week’s Think Tank.
The Think Tank airs on KTAR 92.3 FM on Saturday 6-7 p.m. and Sunday 9-10 p.m.
Podcasts are available after broadcast.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
The Think Tank
- Arizona Rep. Reginald Bolding running for secretary of state
- Think Tank discusses 4-year degrees at Arizona community colleges
- Q&A with Arizona Gov. Ducey on election audit, border and taxes
- Former Arizona National Guard leader McGuire announces run for US Senate
- Think Tank discusses the 2020 vote ‘audit’ and flat-tax proposal