KTAR 92.3 FM’s Mac and Gaydos sat down with actor and filmmaker Sean Astin for a game of “Fact or Fiction” Friday.
Astin, who is in the Valley for the Inaugural #Run3rd 5K, spoke with Mac and Gaydos about his “Lord of the Rings” costars, his first feature film and the 5K itself.
One of the statements — that turned out to be a fact — involved going to a gay bar with his LOTR costars, including Ian McKellen.
“We have this mid-60-year-old man who is playing this decrepit, old wizard in the movie,” Astin said. “The next thing you know he shows up wearing these skin-tight pants and he has a cigarette and you’re like ‘I did not expect that!'”
The Inaugural #Run3rd 5K will be held at Red Mountain High School in Mesa, Arizona and all proceeds will benefit the Mesa public schools after-school run programs.
“I had an idea a few years ago called Run3rd,” Astin said. “The idea was a prompt from the LA Marathon: Hey guys, why don’t you run for somebody?
Astin said fans and supporters can run in honor of a loved one or request dedications for him to run for. So far, over 1,000 people signed up to participate in Saturday’s run.
Astin starred as Michael Walsh in “The Goonies,” his first-ever feature film. The film will celebrate its 30th anniversary in June, Astin said.
- Ducey responds to Don Shooter’s claims of ‘suspicious’ state contracts
- McSally defends sharp language used in U.S. Senate announcement
- Sheriff Paul Penzone looking to eliminate ‘Tent City’ phrase in 2018
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ contestant Evie Clair sings Christmas carols
- One year in, Paul Penzone continues to address ‘culture of hate’ claims