PHOENIX — The takeover of Iraq has been happening quickly.
But just who, exactly, is terrorizing Iraqi cities?
They are a militant group of Sunni insurgents known as ISIS, or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, according to ABC News. They are led by an Iraqi cleric and trying “to form an independent state with territory in Iraq, Syria and parts of Lebanon.”
ISIS controls cities on both sides of the Iraq-Syria border. When weapons were seized from Mosul on Monday, they were able to move the weapons quickly. They also too over $400 million from Mosul city banks.
And even al-Qaeda’s leader has disavowed them as being “too extreme.”
- Former Arizona AG wants Arpaio to be forced to work with immigrant groups
- Teenage witness says deadly Arizona flash flood was heartbreaking to watch
- Ducey is ‘very concerned’ with how GOP health bill could affect Arizona
- Five months into office, Penzone says problems with politics still persist in MCSO
- Ducey faces pressure, backlash during fight to overhaul K-12 education