Most illegal immigrants attempt to sneak over the border, but some just go for it.
On Wednesday, Sen. John McCain tweeted that he saw a woman jump an 18-foot border fence in Nogales, Ariz. while on a tour with several senators, including Sen. Jeff Flake.
“Somebody said, ‘Isn’t that somebody with a ladder over there,'” Flake told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday, adding that he saw a few people lower a woman down over the fence with a harness-like device.
Flake and the others asked the Border Patrol agents they were touring with the odds of them catching the woman. They told Flake she was guaranteed to be caught.
Despite what he saw, Flake said fewer illegal immigrants are trying to enter the United States to find work.
“The economy is down,” he said. “There’s less of a draw; fewer jobs. But…we do have better barriers, more agents, better technology. We’ve made progress.”
Flake said that, though illegals may not be seeking work, more are coming across that are affiliated with cartels.
After all was said and done, Flake said he understood why the woman would cross the border, though he has become accustomed to it.
“Those of us who have been in Arizona for so long and grown up with it, I can understand those who want to come to make their life better,” he said, adding that it is unknown why the woman crossed the fence.
- Arizona DCS head responds to claims of failed foster care protections
- Ducey responds to Don Shooter’s claims of ‘suspicious’ state contracts
- McSally defends sharp language used in U.S. Senate announcement
- Sheriff Paul Penzone looking to eliminate ‘Tent City’ phrase in 2018
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ contestant Evie Clair sings Christmas carols