Get Outdoors: A new way to prepare your wild turkey
Stop cooking your game the same old way. Let Chef Eddie Matney help you up your kitchen game…game.
Here is your first mission:
Grilled Wild Turkey with Cantaloupe BBQ Sauce
1 tbsp – Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp – Eddie’s Mo’Rockin’ Spice Mix (recipe follows)
1. Rub turkey with olive oil and spice mix and grill on high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until dark golden brown.
2. Place deconstructed turkey in a roasting pan, cover with BBQ sauce (recipe follows) and 1 can of root beer. Wrap pan with saran wrap, then foil and bake on a low heat for 1.5 hours.
3. Serve and enjoy.
Cantaloupe BBQ Sauce
Half red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 serrano chili peppers , chopped
2 tsp – Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup – Cantaloupe, skinned, seeded, chopped
2 tbsp – Cilantro, fresh, chopped
1 tbsp – Dijon mustard
4 cups – Barbecue sauce (Cattleman’s or your favorite kind)
2 limes, juiced
1. Saute onions, garlic, and chili peppers in olive oil for 2 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened.
Salt and black pepper to taste.
Mo’Rockin’ Spice Mix
1 tbsp – Paprika
1 tsp – Cayenne pepper
1 tsp – Granulated garlic
1 tsp – Mint, dry
½ tsp – Onion powder
1 tsp – Thyme, dry
½ tsp – Crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp – Kosher salt
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the above ingredients.
2. Sprinkle over any fish, meat, poultry, or vegetables.
2 cups – Shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
¼ – ½ cup – Ranch dressing
2 tsp – Chipotle paste, or pureed chipotle peppers
½ cup – Corn, roasted. Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Combine all of the ingredients above and mix well.