Maricopa County sheriff candidates debate on Think Tank
The candidates for Maricopa County sheriff square off in a formal debate in this week’s Think Tank. This is the first of several key race debates.
Paul Penzone, a career Phoenix police officer, is the incumbent Maricopa County sheriff. He was elected to that post in 2016.
Jerry Sheridan is a career MCSO employee and rose to the rank of chief deputy, overseeing much of the department’s operations.
Among other things, we ask about:
- The legacy of Joe Arpaio on the MCSO and the extent to which they would deviate from his policies.
- Tent City.
- Alternatives to incarceration, especially for those not yet convicted of any crime.
- The appropriate MCSO relationship with ICE and other immigration-related issues.
- And we give each candidate an opportunity to question the other on a topic of their choosing.
The Think Tank airs on KTAR 92.3 FM on Saturday 3-4 p.m. and Sunday 9-10 p.m.
Podcasts are available after broadcast.
The Think Tank
- Court rejects bid to extend vote counting on Navajo Nation in Arizona
- Arizonans submit over 500K ballots through first full week of voting
- Majority of Phoenix residents view police department favorably, poll finds
- Leadership styles of Penzone, Sheridan clash in Maricopa County sheriff’s race
- Monday is Arizona voter registration deadline for 2020 elections