State Route 87 northbound near Payson partially closed due to brush fire
PHOENIX — Drivers heading north to the Payson area on Friday afternoon for a weekend trip will run into some backed up traffic.
The northbound lanes of State Route 87 just south of Payson have been partially re-opened after closing earlier in the afternoon due to a brush fire, the Arizona Department of Transportation announced.
The roads about seven miles of Payson were closed at 2:45 p.m. Friday, but traffic had been backed up as much as five miles since 2 p.m.
Around 3:45 p.m., one lane was re-opened.
Initially, the brush fire only shut down one lane, and weekend traffic heading north quickly backed up the roads.
There was no estimated time before the highway would be fully re-opened.
Drivers were encouraged to use the Interstate 17 north to State Route 260 east as an alternate route.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Crews control fire in Glendale park that threatened homes, golf course
- Interstate 17 southbound reopens after brush fire forced closure
- Camelback Fire shuts down Interstate 10 in Tonopah for hours
- Firefighters battling fast-moving brush fire in Goodyear
- Evacuations ordered for Bush Fire, as part of State Route 87 remains closed