Think Tank asks Arizona education leaders: Are we ready to open schools?
We are in the middle of a pandemic.
But our kids have been out of school for approaching six months. Education is essential, but at what risk? Are online learning options viable? What choices do we have and what are the health and educational implications?
This week’s Think Tank brings together some of Arizona’s key educational actors to discuss:
- Donna Lewis, Superintendent of the Creighton Elementary School District, and President of the Arizona School Administrators, which represents school administrators, superintendents and principals.
- Chris Kotterman, Governmental Relations Director of Arizona School Boards Association, an organization that represents school governing boards.
- Joe Thomas, President of Arizona Education Association that represents teachers and other educators.
We discuss issues involved with opening Arizona schools including:
- Under what circumstances should our schools open?
- Whose decision is this?
- Are our schools prepared to open?
- What is the capacity of our schools to engage in remote learning? How many Arizona schoolchildren do not have a computer and internet access? What is being done for those who do not?
The Think Tank airs on KTAR 92.3 FM on Saturday 3-4 p.m. and Sunday 9-10 p.m.
Podcasts are available after broadcast.