Think Tank takes a look at Arizona Legislature, COVID-19
The Arizona Legislature finally adjourned its regular session this week.
Howard Fischer has been reporting on state government and legal affairs in Arizona since 1982, the last 25 for Capitol Media Services, which he founded in 1991.
His reports have been widely disseminated in media throughout Arizona for decades.
Among other things, we discuss:
- What was the most significant legislative accomplishment this session?
- What did the state budget look like? What is different in it?
- What legislation died (possibly due to COVID-19)? Which of these bills is likely to come back in a special session?
- Republicans have had a legislative majority for decades, but the Democrats have closed the gap in recent elections. Did the Democrats have actual leverage in the legislature this session? How and where was that felt?
- Why did the two branches of the legislature, both controlled by Republicans, differ on closing out the session?
- COVID-19: How did legislature pivot as a result of the COVID19 outbreak?
The Think Tank airs on KTAR 92.3 FM on Saturday 3-4pm and Sundays 9-10pm.
Podcasts are available after broadcast.