Think Tank guests to discuss COVID-19 and politics
President Trump visits Arizona this week. Sen. Martha McSally gets a ride to Arizona on Air Force One with the president but does not get a speaking role at the event.
Gov. Doug Ducey begins to loosen COVID-19 restrictions. And COVID-19 causes a halt to most citizen initiative petition gatherings.
Think Tank regulars Chuck Coughlin and Tom Ryan are our guests this week. Among the things we consider are:
- How strong does the president look as a reelection candidate? Nationally? In Arizona? Did the president help himself with this trip?
- Is the president distancing himself from Sen. McSally? All polling shows her significantly behind Mark Kelly.
- How much is Rep. David Schweikert in trouble? He represents a very Republican district, but faces an ethics investigation (and has spent most of his lackluster campaign funding on legal defense). And his likely opponent, Dr. Hiral Tipernini, has proven herself an adept campaigner.
- The COVID19 pandemic put a damper on initiative signature collections. Will any of these still make the ballot?
The Think Tank airs on KTAR 92.3 FM on Saturday from 3-4 p.m. and repeats Sundays 9-10 p.m.
Podcasts are available after broadcast.
The Think Tank
- Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from July 10-12
- ASU to utilize $31.7 million of CARES Act for direct student support
- Arizona to receive shipment of experimental coronavirus drug
- Arizona reports 3,038 new coronavirus cases, 69 additional deaths
- Tribes say delayed coronavirus funds hurt relief, other efforts