Share this story...
The Phoenix Theatre Company
Latest News

Phoenix Theatre Company goes dark because of coronavirus

(Facebook Photo/The Phoenix Theatre Company)

PHOENIX – For the first time in its 100-year history, The Phoenix Theatre Company is going dark.

The theater at McDowell Road and Central Avenue announced Monday it was closing its current show and postponing future runs because of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.

All remaining performances of “Sondheim on Sondheim” have been canceled, the theater said. The musical had been scheduled to run through April 5.

The next show on the calendar, “Something Rotten!,” has been postponed. It was scheduled debut Wednesday and run through April 19, but instead it will begin May 13.

The start of the “Rocky Horror Show,” which was set for April 15, has been pushed back to May 13.

Additionally, the start of “Hair” was moved from May 20 to July 8.

Theater officials said they would reach out to patrons about rescheduling and asked ticket holders to be patient.

“We remain unshaken in the belief that theatre brings out the best in us, inspiring hope and understanding,” the theater said in a press release. “And with the help of steadfast patrons just like you, that mission will continue.

“We guarantee: The show will go on.”

A year ago, Phoenix Theatre changed its name to The Phoenix Theatre Company as part of the stage company’s 100th anniversary in the Valley.

The Mesa Arts Center has also put programming on hold, canceling or postponing all shows through April 30.

For all articles, information and updates on the coronavirus from KTAR News, visit ktar.com/coronavirus.

Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories