Arizona’s top 10 consumer fraud complaints in 2019
PHOENIX — Attorney General Mark Brnovich released the top 10 consumer fraud complaint categories in Arizona for 2019.
It’s the second consecutive year in which telemarketing and phone scams was the leading category.
The Attorney General’s Office received almost 2,000 complaints regarding telemarketing and phone scams in 2019 and released its full list on Tuesday as part of National Consumer Protection Week:
- Telemarketing and phone scams
- Motor vehicle sales, repairs and rentals
- Mortgage and real estate
- Telecommunications (internet service providers, cell phones, pay TV)
- Insurance service contract/warranty (home warranties)
- Computers (computer internet scams)
- Construction (home improvements and repairs)
- Collection services
- Banking (general services)
The Attorney General’s Office processed over 14,000 written complaints and received nearly 40,000 phone calls from consumers.
More than $38 million was restored for consumers who filed fraud complaints.
Consumer fraud complaints can be filed in English or Spanish online or by calling 602-542-5763 in Phoenix; 520-628-6648 in Tucson; or 800-352-8431 outside of the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan area.