Children safe, Amber Alert from 2018 canceled after father’s arrest
PHOENIX — An Amber Alert from 2018 in Phoenix has been canceled after the father of two missing boys was arrested in late January, authorities said Friday.
Victor and Jonathan Coronado Nunez had been missing since September 2018 after their father, 48-year-old Dimas Coronado Chafino, was accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend and another person in the area of 32nd Avenue and Van Buren Street.
Chafino was arrested Jan. 29 and the children, who were ages 8 and 5 when they were taken, were located and found safe, Phoenix police said in an email.
No details about Chafino’s arrest were immediately available.
U.S. and Mexican authorities were seeking Chafino on a 3-count homicide warrant in the 2018 shooting deaths.
Police said Chafino’s slain girlfriend, Oralia Nunez, was at least seven months pregnant at her time of death and that the couple had a history of domestic issues.
They were married but had been estranged for two months.
Chafino was believed to have fled to Mexico with the kids, police said.
The home where the boys were allegedly taken from was also the scene of the murders.