Never miss your favorite TV show again, that’s the beauty of a DVR. But did you know you can save the money and have your computer do the recording for you?
If you want to record TV shows without a DVR, you’re in luck. If you’re a Windows 7 user, you already have a powerful TiVo like DVR in your PC. Windows Media Center.
When paired with an inexpensive TV tuner and a decent antenna, it lets you watch and record broadcast television in HD.
Now remember, you’ll also need a pretty good sized hard drive with a decent chunk of free space. A one-hour recorded TV show can easily eat up 7-8 gigs if uncompressed.
Now for you Mac users, it’s not native, but there too is an easy solution.
EyeTV, is a hardware software combo that allows you to record over the air or basic cable direct to your Mac. You can watch, record, and pause live TV, just like with a traditional DVR.
With their mobile device, you can watch over the air TV on your iPhone, iPod and iPad, all without using any data. It’s like adding rabbit ears to your iPad.
We’ve got the answers to your technology questions.
All you have to do is ask.
Go to facebook.com/datadoctors.
- What can I do if my cell phone is getting bombarded with robocalls?
- How can I tell if a keylogger has been installed on my devices?
- How can I protect my router from the attack the FBI is warning about?
- What is your recommendation for DNA testing your pet?
- How can I get my child into coding this summer?