Flipped semi-truck forces closure on I-10 near Deck Park Tunnel
PHOENIX — A Frito Lay semi-truck that flipped on its side on the Interstate 10 near 7th Avenue forced cars traveling eastbound toward downtown Phoenix to detour south.
The freeway closure forced cars to exit at Interstate 17 southbound at The Stack interchange, closing access to the I-10 Deck Park Tunnel.
Also, I-10 eastbound exits were closed for both directions of I-17 traffic, but the Arizona Department of Transportation announced that the Stack had reopened around 9:02 a.m.
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) December 14, 2019
Authorities said that crash occurred at 1:46 a.m.
They said that the driver’s injuries, originally deemed life threatening, were downgraded to non-life threatening.
Hazmat personnel was dealing with a natural gas leak that spilled from the semi-truck.
Authorities said they expected to reopen parts of the highway by Sunday morning.
KTAR News’ 92.3 FM’s Gabriel Gamino contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- North Phoenix, East Valley drivers face minor weekend freeway restrictions
- Phoenix man sentenced in fatal smuggling attempt
- Westbound I-10 shuts down in west Phoenix after crash causes fuel spill
- Interstate 10 drivers in central Phoenix to face restrictions this weekend
- Construction vacation on Phoenix-area freeways ends this weekend