Dave Ramsey says: Online banks are safer now than in the past
What are your thoughts about online banks? Are they as safe as traditional, neighborhood banks?
Sure, if they’re guaranteed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
The FDIC is one of two agencies that provide deposit insurance to customers in America’s depository institutions. The other is the National Credit Union Administration, which insures and regulates credit unions.
If you’re seriously considering using an online bank, there are a few things I’d advise checking out before making the move.
Look into the bank’s track record, and see how long it has been open.
Also, if the bank you’re considering doesn’t have a name brand you recognize, find out the amount of its deposits.
Online banks don’t worry me today like they did 10 years ago. And almost everyone does some form of online banking now, anyway.
If the bank in question has a good reputation, and sufficient deposits to have some strength in its FDIC guarantee, I wouldn’t worry about it.
- Dave Ramsey says: Spend less and skip debt consolidation
- TSA caught 132 guns at Sky Harbor in 2019, among most at US airports
- Dave Ramsey says: Too much car payment debt weighing down couple
- Dave Ramsey says: Life on budget leads to better days
- Tips on how to create, manage your budget in the new year