Collision sets off fire at Chandler gas station; bystander injured
PHOENIX – Police in Chandler arrested a man suspected of crashing into a pump that burst into flames at a gas station and injured a woman.
Clemente Torres, 21, was booked on counts that included aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, endangerment, criminal damage and leaving the scene at Chandler Boulevard and Alma School Road early Thursday afternoon.
ABC15 reported a witness said the woman was standing at her car a few feet away when Torres’ sedan hit the pump.
Authorities said Torres had pulled up to a pump on the wrong side of his gas tank. He peeled out from the spot, causing his car to slide.
Flames sprang up almost immediately on impact.
Other first responders said the woman suffered burns and was taken to a hospital. She was expected to recover.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Driver pleads not guilty in Chandler gas station fire accident
- Chandler Fire awarded $34K for child car-seat inspections, training
- Jimmy Carter hospitalized after fall at Georgia home
- Phoenix police arrest doctor for allegedly pointing gun at protesters
- Driver claiming to have bomb leads police on chase from Tucson Airport