Brush fire closes Interstate 17 in both directions near Sunset Point
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed Interstate 17 about an hour north of Phoenix in both directions for several hours on Wednesday.
The fire near the Sunset Point area started causing northbound delays at around 4:30 p.m., according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
By 5:30 p.m., a three-mile stretch of the southbound I-17 was closed near Badger Springs because of the growing flames.
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) August 22, 2019
Drivers were being diverted away from the highway and being asked to take alternate routes instead of the I-17, which connects Phoenix and Flagstaff.
There was no estimated time for the highway’s reopening, according to ADOT.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Post Malone extends tour, announces 2nd Phoenix-area performance
- Arizona man accused of 1979 killing expected to plead not guilty
- Lyft pulling plug on e-scooters in two East Valley cities this week
- Lyft announces plan to end service at Phoenix airport due to proposed fees
- Phoenix police looking for diaper thief, assault suspects