Brush fire closes Interstate 17 in both directions near Sunset Point
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed Interstate 17 about an hour north of Phoenix in both directions for several hours on Wednesday.
The fire near the Sunset Point area started causing northbound delays at around 4:30 p.m., according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
By 5:30 p.m., a three-mile stretch of the southbound I-17 was closed near Badger Springs because of the growing flames.
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) August 22, 2019
Drivers were being diverted away from the highway and being asked to take alternate routes instead of the I-17, which connects Phoenix and Flagstaff.
There was no estimated time for the highway’s reopening, according to ADOT.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Police: Man found shot dead near Phoenix apartment complex
- New Spin Hub stations help keep Phoenix e-scooters organized, charged
- Rain headed for metro Phoenix as spring training gets underway
- Valley restaurant to reopen after fatal car crash forced closure
- Closures spread across multiple Valley freeways this weekend