Brush fire closes Interstate 17 in both directions near Sunset Point
PHOENIX — A brush fire closed Interstate 17 about an hour north of Phoenix in both directions for several hours on Wednesday.
The fire near the Sunset Point area started causing northbound delays at around 4:30 p.m., according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
By 5:30 p.m., a three-mile stretch of the southbound I-17 was closed near Badger Springs because of the growing flames.
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) August 22, 2019
Drivers were being diverted away from the highway and being asked to take alternate routes instead of the I-17, which connects Phoenix and Flagstaff.
There was no estimated time for the highway’s reopening, according to ADOT.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Missing 70-year-old Phoenix man found; Silver Alert canceled
- Phoenix African American museum vandalized with swastikas, slur
- Pence highlights importance of Arizona at Phoenix campaign stops
- Phoenix votes to change street names considered offensive
- Startled by phone buzzing and beeping? Here’s what Blue Alert means