9 shot dead in 2 gunbattles in Mexico’s Sonora state
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican authorities say nine people were killed and a child wounded in two gunbattles in the northern border state of Sonora.
State prosecutors say in a statement Tuesday that the first firefight took place the previous afternoon in Agua Prieta, which lies across the border from Douglas, Arizona.
Four men and a woman were found dead in two cars and lying on a street. Some were clad in tactical vests, and assault rifles were recovered at the scene.
About two hours later, more gunfire erupted on a highway in nearby Naco. Four men were found shot dead in a car with Arizona license plates. A 12-year-old boy was wounded by a stray bullet but his life was not in danger.
Police were investigating whether the incidents were linked.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Arizona ranked No. 2 in personal income growth to start 2019
- Arizona Gov. Ducey: Phoenix police doesn’t have systemic problem
- High pollution advisory issued for Phoenix on Monday
- Arizona bipartisan group to study earned release program for prisoners
- Opinion: Trump’s tariff threat is a dumb way to extort Mexico