Share this story...
Latest News

Authorities shut down Loop 202 West in Phoenix after report of shots fired

PHOENIX – Authorities shut down part of westbound Loop 202 near 32nd Street in Phoenix on Wednesday morning to investigate reports of shots fired during a possible carjacking.

Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Trooper Kameron Lee said units reached the freeway scene at 8:14 a.m.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said in an email the stolen vehicle was found in Chandler less than two hours later and the suspect taken into custody.

Thompson said the suspect, identified as 36-year-old Carl Corder, was booked on charges of robbery and auto theft.

No injuries were reported, and the freeway reopened around 10 a.m.

The suspect had been walking on the freeway near State Route 51 and Loop 202, according to Thompson.

He allegedly started pounding on the hood of a car and told the 63-year-old driver to get out.

A 48-year-old man in a second vehicle stopped to assist the first driver and got into a fight with Corder.

The suspect then managed to get into the second car and drive off.

Thompson said the second driver had a gun and fired several shots at the fleeing vehicle.

A DPS helicopter tracked the suspect, who was not believed to be armed.

Corder was arrested without incident near Cooper Road and the Loop 202 Santan Freeway.

Comments

Comment guidelines: No name-calling, personal attacks, profanity, or insults. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate comments by reporting abuse.
comments powered by Disqus

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories

Related Links